Out of the Past
125 Years Ago
July 21, 1887
One of the severest rain storms that we ever witnessed, accompanied by thunder and lightning, passed over Clarence last Sunday evening. Mr. Philip Long, who lives about a mile east from the Center, had his barn with its contents destroyed by lightning. Part of his wheat crop, about 60 tons of hay, barley, etc., were all consumed, besides a new wagon, harnesses and a few implements. There was no insurance.
Mrs. N.B. Parker and Mrs. C.W. Swift will represent the Women’s Christian Temperance Union at Colden, where the next annual meeting will be held.
Mr. Oscar King has lately applied a coat of paint to the house occupied by Mr. C.P. Johnson in Clarence Center, much improving its appearance.
The medical world is becoming alive to a sharp epidemic of sweating sickness which has burst out sporadically in many parts of France.
A good deal of interest is shown in the probable future of the first Democratic president since the war. It has been stated that Mr. Cleveland does not expend more than half his salary. A friend of his who is in a position to speak with force on the subject, says that when he was inaugurated, the president had $65,000 in hard cash. The money was received principally out of fees received while he was sheriff of Erie County.
100 Years Ago
July 18, 1912
W.A. Hunt of Clarence has been elected delegate at large from the Erie County Rural Carriers Association to the state convention to be held in Poughkeepsie next month.
A grand horse bazaar will be held at Samuel Dickey’s Palace Hotel, Main and Transit, on July 19 and 20.
Mr. and Mrs. Paul Eichinger entertained at their home at the Rapids on July in celebration of their 40th wedding anniversary.
Deaths included Mrs. Thomas Weeks of Clarence, July 5, 1912; Mrs. Joseph S. Lehman of Clarence Center, July 4, 1912; and Fred Deitz of Rapids, July 13, 1912.
75 Years Ago
July 22, 1937
Jacob F. Humbert, Clarence’s only surviving Civil War veteran, has been named president of the 100th Regiment (New York State Volunteers) Association. “We are very proud of him and all he has done for the Grand Army of the Republic,” said Principal F.A. Weeks of Parker High School in his address of welcome.
The Seyfang reunion was held on Saturday, July 10, at the home of the Charles Weaver family. A picnic supper was enjoyed by those present.
50 Years Ago
July 19, 1962
The Chestnut Hollow Restaurant, “the home of a good eating in a relaxed atmosphere,” is again open for luncheons daily at 11:30 a.m. Cocktails 50 cents during luncheon hour. Located at 9415 Main Street, Clarence. (Editor’s note: This is now the site of Orazio's Restaurant.)
The annual picnic for the benefit of St. Mary’s Church, Swormville, will take place in the grove adjoining the church and school next Sunday, July 22. The famous chicken and roast beef dinners will again be featured as well as that famous chowder.
Mrs. Joseph Aiken has returned to her home on Transit Road after a month’s visit with her son, Howard, and his family at Shrewsbury, N.J.
25 Years Ago
July 22, 1987
Laura Aiken of Clarence will be a featured soloist at Artpark’s operatic production of “The Magic Flute.”
George T. and Vera Jackson of Willow Lake Drive celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with family and friends on July 4 at their home.
Paul C. Cordes, 62, of Clarence, a retired salesman for the Pratt & Lambert Paint Co., died Sunday, July 19, 1987.